Ace McKay “Lead Like Ted”
In a time when reruns and reboots dominate our binging moments, one show that’s managed to penetrate above all of that and grab an audience and a huge fan base is Apple+’s Ted Lasso.
While it’s crass the lead character and the dynamics of what makes up teamwork can bleed into our stations to make us better.
Now when you think of quality leader in the Wisdom‘s that they give us like John Maxwell, John Ortberg, Bill Hybills, Charles Stanley, and Billy Graham those are names that stand the test of time in Godly leadership.
This is a show that focuses on what it feels like to be the underdog. Ted Lasso is a simple man who just wants to make people better and he wants to love them. Ted wants to take care of them and you see that play out over the first two seasons.
As we look to lead our radio stations, organizations and ministries, Ted’s wisdoms can truly help in those moments when either we need a nugget of encouragement or a challenge of character that might make us laugh a little.
Some of The quotable Ted moments for I’ve taken away from the show are.
1. “Taking on a challenge is a lot like riding a horse, isn’t it? If you’re comfortable while you’re doing it, you’re probably doing it wrong.”
2. On whether or not he believes in ghosts: “I do. But more importantly, I think they need to believe in themselves. You know?”
3. “Back where I’m from, you try to end a game in a tie; well, that might as well be the first sign of the apocalypse.”
4. “Doing the right thing is never the wrong thing.”
5. “I think that if you care about someone and you got a little love in your heart, there ain’t nothing you can’t get through together.”
There are a million more but regardless of what you take away from a simple tv character or other leaders and pastors, the best teams start with the best bosses who care. It’s not in what you teach but in how you teach it or as Ted would say, “For me, success is not about the wins and losses. It’s about helping these young fellas be the best versions of themselves on and off the field.”
Ace is a producer/voiceover for EWTN. Previously he was Imaging Director for WDJC Birmingham as well as co host of Roxanne & Ace morning Show. During his 30 year career, he has hosted showed and Programmed for WAY FM, Star 88 and Air 1. Ace can be reached at email@example.com