some Top 40 at WKQI/Detroit and WHZZ/Lansing, some Country at WBCT/Grand
Rapids, WXIK/Lansing, Christian CHR and AC at WLGH/Lansing, WaYfm in
West Michigan, and currently the SOS Radio Network out of Las Vegas.
How has the move to the West been for you and the family?
We LOVED avoiding
winter in Michigan! Still haven't sold our house though, so if
you're looking to make a Real Estate investment, I'd like to cut you
2. Has SOS Radio made any changes due to economic situation, been
affected in any way?
I don't have the
perspective of station history yet. From my chair, the leadership
seems to spend money wisely and they don't appear to be on any wild
Vegas gambling sprees. They haven't even hired me an
3. How is Las Vegas a unique Christian market?
I'm still learning.
One thing I've gleamed is that Christians here have NO shame in
their faith. They seem more bold than what I experienced in the
mini-Bible belt of Grand Rapids. Perhaps that's because they have
to be in the face of everything Vegas throws at them each day.
4. What criteria do you require for a song to be played on SOS
it a hit that's better than something we're already playing? Does it
fit what our listener expects, and what SOS is called to do?
5. What kind of promotions work best for a Christian radio network?
Scott Herrold, our
PD, is really on this "bless others" kick lately ;). We've been
looking for ways to entice listeners to win, while also thinking
6. How do you think Christian Record labels can better serve
I think they do
dandy, but I do double tracking every week, so maybe I am biased
from yacking about 2 different formats on the telly. It begins and
ends with honest, frank, friendly communication on both ends.
7. In your opinion what are the biggest obstacles facing Christian
mainstream. Fragmentation of the audience, decreasing revenue
sources, increased competition from everything under the sun, and
who we were yesterday.
8. What do you believe is the primary role of the Christian radio
Get them phones
ringing at Sharathon! Kidding, I think. Connect on every level you
can, compel more listening appointments, be memorable.
9. What (if any) Christian radio stations do you consider as
There are so many.
Apologies to whoever I leave out in advance! KXWA in Denver, Air1,
KSBJ, KXOJ, RadioU, WCSG, WAY-FM (do I mean the WaY I work for, or
the others? Whichever seems less self serving :-).
10. Where do you see Christian radio in 5 years?
I heard President
Obama was going to outlaw us during his second term, so I guess
we'll all be transmitting from undisclosed locations or working at
Radio Shack, asking people for the last four digits of their home