1. Tell us about your market and how it is unique?
Our market is unique in that while
most other markets are topped by the Country, Hot A/C, Mix, or
whatever formats KVMV has the pleasure of competing for the ear of a
very large Hispanic audience. The top 2 stations in the market are
2. What is the most fulfilling aspect to you personally about
WOO HOO! It's Good News man!
I love to see & meet people who have had life changing experiences
or made life
decisions, in which KVMV 96.9 played a part.
3. How do you personally keep the ministry in the business?
Cling to the vine! It's really hard
to imagine this business without ministry. That'd be wrong
4. What is the criteria that determines if a song receives airplay
on your station?
potential has to be there. Then with everything else we try to do,
you have to attempt to determine if
the mass of your audience/potential audience is going to react
favorably to it. Is it a song they can make their own lyrically &
5. What kind of promotions work best for your station?
We have partnered with the
local Pregnancy Testing Centers to collect baby stuff. We also do
well with raising supplies
orphanages in Mexico. Anything from toys to sheets. We tried to
sneak a couple of winners on to the K-Love boat. Yeah, that didn't
work out so well.
6. How do you think Christian Record labels can better serve
Doing a great job! Seems that
there are so many newbies in the CCM industry. I like to know more
about where these new artists are from what do they stand for, is
their walk worthy of the platform/airtime etc..
7. In your opinion what are the biggest obstacles facing Christian
Wrong pre-conceptions about what
Christian radio is. Stations that want to foster that
pre-conception. And on the other hand stations that will go to any
length to not be identifiable as Christian.
8. What do you believe is the primary role of the Christian radio
air personality today?
Win friends, influence people, be a
friend, entertain, play the hits, and cling baby.
9. What (if any) other Christian radio stations do you consider as
The usual list, KSBJ, KXOJ, WCSG, KTIS,
WayFM, K-Love...for a little lighter A/C flava, keep your eyes on
Family Life Radio out of Tucson, I think they are making some great
10. Where do you see Christian radio in 5 years?
I think as the world gets more
chaotic, Christian radio will only get bigger, better & stronger.