Career Capsule: This summer marks 30 years in radio for me. 1986-1995 (103CIR in Beckley WV) 1995-200 (WAEY/WSTG in Princeton WV) 2000-2001 (WPAR in Blacksburg VA. PAR and Spirit FM merged in 2001 and I moved to Lynchburg to work with Spirit FM till 2008) 2008-2012 (WCQR Johnson City TN) 2012-Present (His Radio Network Greenville SC)
- Brian, Tell us what’s new with His Radio… changes, & with YOU… etc?
His Radio has recently expanded into Columbia SC, we are excited about now broadcasting in South Carolina’s capital city. We have some other expansion plans coming up….
Changes with me, I’m getting ready to move from afternoons to middays.
2. What is your typical day like regarding getting ready to go on the air?
I try to keep my ears and eyes open each day. It may be at the YMCA in the morning, or watching morning TV or scanning radio dials or social media. I try to find the things that people are talking about that day and try to find a way to share those stories with my friends.
3. What is the best programming advice you’ve been given? The worst?
Smile when you talk, also, it’s not about you it’s about the people listening! The worst…Let’s do a Sharathon without asking for gifts. It was a long and quiet 4 days.
4. Some say more Christian stations in a market the better, do you agree with that, why or why not?
Smarter people than me have answered this both ways. Regardless of the number of stations in our markets, we should strive to do things with excellence and be led by the vision God has given our stations.
5. What is the ONE thing you must have everyday to do your show?
Coffee and the internet…sorry, 2 things!
6. Where will future Christian radio air talent come from?
Great storytellers are everywhere, we just need to look.
7. Generally speaking to the industry what are the biggest obstacles facing Christian radio?
There are technical issues and demographic answers to this, but for me, my greatest obstacle is not forgetting the reason why I’m involved with Christian radio. It’s not a job, it’s calling that has an eternal impact each and every day!
8. Who are your radio heroes and influences… and why?
Lots of heroes, but I’ll never forget my radio mentor. His name is Bob Spencer and he gave me my first job 30 years ago. He has encouraged me and coached me over the years and just recently emailed me some verses to encourage me.