Dear Christian Radio,
Last week was tough. The news of Lee Geysbeek’s passing hit all of us hard. For those who may not know, Lee was the Radio Marketing Director for Compassion International. Let me be clear, Lee and I were not best friends—I say that because I don’t want to misrepresent the relationship. Rather, his kinship took the form of a fellow follower who dedicated his life to changing the lives of millions of children. Now, sadly…he’s gone.
It was no surprise to see countless tributes to him and shared memories of him across Facebook. Lee was well liked and his life was a race well run. Through Lee, Compassion International was always represented with excellence. His service is something the organization should wear as a badge of honor.
Lee was never at a loss for a joke…and he was always ready for a laugh. That made me smile. He loved what he did. His life had purpose. He didn’t waste his days just doing a job. He lived his passion. There’s a lesson in that for the rest of us.
Moving forward, let’s challenge ourselves to “Be Like Lee.”
Here’s what that looks like for me—and hopefully, for you as well:
- Let us represent our ministries with excellence. Let’s make our efforts about our missions and vision statements, rather than ourselves.
- Let us make others smile. Let’s be people that others welcome and embrace, not the kind they try to avoid. Our impact will cover a wider area if we first try to simply be a friend. There are millions of children being fed and cared for today because Lee was likable.
- Let us love what we do. Know that it is our passion that shines brightest. True passion is infectious and will no doubt spread to other team members. As a result, their productivity will increase. Loving what you do is a result of knowing your work matters.
To Lee’s family, please know our prayers are with you. Grief is incredibly difficult, but the promises of God are sure.
May we all remember these words from John:
“Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in His temple; and He who sits on the throne will shelter them with His presence. They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and He will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” (Revelation 7:15-17)
Finally, I think I can say that Lee inspired us all. He did the hard things by sacrificing his time to help those who needed it most. Easy Never Changed the World…Lee lived it each and every day.
Thank you for your example, sir. Our industry is better because of it.
Dear Christian Radio,
- Remember, the Lord allows hard times, so we can taste and see that the Lord is good.
- Be Like Lee. Your organization will thank you for it.
Brian is the Executive Vice President of Positive Alternative Radio in Blacksburg. PAR has five brands which include Spirit FM in Lynchburg, VA; WCQR in Kingsport, TN; Positive Hits, WPER in Richmond/Fredericksburg, VA; Joy FM in Winston Salem, NC; Walk FM in Ashland, KY, Huntington,WV. Contact Brian at firstname.lastname@example.org